Monday, November 15, 2010

A Man without Arms and Legs


The other thing that I did in honor of participating in something new every month was visit a talk by a man who was born without arms or legs! Yes, it's true. I went to a church with my classmate and we sat for 30 minutes and listened to Nick Vujicic tell us about Jesus Christ, the Gospel and living nearly 30 years without limbs.

He wrote a book that you can purchase from his website or from Amazon entitled Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life. When we go on break in December, I'm going to purchase this book. I really enjoyed listening to what Nick had to say and I'm looking forward to reading his book.

One of the most interesting things was his wheelchair. He drives it with his 'flippers,' as he calls his feet, and he was very adept at maneuvering through the aisles. Nick was born with a rare disease called Tetra-amelia. From an occupational therapy point of view, he talks as if his daily occupations and functions have not been affected. I can neither confirm nor deny this as I have not evaluated him, obviously, and I choose not to place my own limiting beliefs on him. According to him, he's done tons of things--played golf, surfing, scuba diving, tons of things. You can view pics of all these activities here. And, of course, you can always Google him. Google knows everything...

You can find more information about Nick and his book by clicking here--Lifewithoutlimbs.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment