Saturday, August 29, 2009

My last yogurt & dog food

As I walked toward the train station from work I decided to get some frozen yogurt. After purchasing I decided to sit and slowly enjoy my last yogurt downtown. About 2 minutes into this a young man sits down right next to me.

Him: Mind if I join you?

Me: Actually yes, I do mind. Today was my last day of work. I quit my job to go to school full-time and I just want to enjoy this time alone and reflect.

Him (still sitting and not moving): Well, look at it like this, everybody is strapped for cash sometimes and you quit to make a better life for yourself by going to school and---

Me: No, that's not what I meant. I meant I'm reflecting in a good way. I'm not sad I quit. I just want to enjoy this time alone.

Him: Well, I'm a designer. I went to school to be a graphics designer and I design things for a living blah blah blah blah blah blah

(Is this guy for real?? Didn't I just say I wanted to be alone?? Sometimes I think in Spanish... Did I subconsciously speak Spanish?? Gasp! Maybe I thought I said leave me alone when in fact I really said nothing at all...Wow, look at that cab driver yelling at that other cab driver...)

Him: ...then I decided to be a massage therapist. so i did that for awhile and discovered it wasn't for me. I didn't want to do something I didn't like for the rest of my life blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

(OH MY GOSH!! Is this Forrest Gump?? Am I being 'Punked'? Is he STILL talking to me? This is not happening...Wow, this yogurt is really good.)

Him: blah blah blah blah blah ...so, that's my story. You mind telling me your story?

Me: Actually I do. Remember I told you I really don't want to talk?

Him: Oh.

(silence)

(silence)

(I'm really enjoying my yogurt. It tastes great. I really like the mix of almonds, walnuts and pecans. It gives it a nice flavor...I'm going to miss the yogurt place...)

(silence)

Him: Can I take you out?

Me: I'm flattered but no thank you.

(silence)

(family walks by with a dog and a baby. The baby keeps staring at me. I stare back.)

(silence)

(more silence)

Him: You in a relationship?

I nodd my head while noticing my yogurt is almost gone. Yikes!

(silence again)

(silence)

(silence)

(My yogurt is gone. It was delicious. Farewell yogurt place...)

Me: Have a nice day.

Him: You, too.

****************
As I left the young man who doesn't listen well and insists on talking about himself even though i was clear I wanted to be alone, I passed a homeless man holding a sign with a blank look on his face. The sign said 'Homeless and hungry.' Next to him was a dog. Next to the dog was a bowl of dog food. Behind the dog food was a large grocery bag of dog food.

Is this logical?
How is this possible?
Is it just me?
Am I wrong for noticing that the dog has a ton of food and the man has none?
What does this mean?

I keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment